Sunday, May 4, 2008

The thoughts you need to get out in the morning

I am a huge fan of Julia Cameron's "The Artist Way" and her other books that successfully help the creative person who feels blocked, have an outlet to the endless frustration of knowing where to start. She suggest writing 3 non stop handwritten pages about what is on your mind, the first thing in the morning to get rid of the nonsense and clutter that stops us from being able to be more productive with our writing or other creative ventures in the day. I find myself so refreshed after doing this. I usually write the things I need to do in the day, the feelings or frustrations that are in the back of my mind, or a dream that has puzzled me. Sometimes I write how much a hate writing about nothing, but 3 pages helps even if I repeat myself. Besides my hand is tired. I relate it to working out. When I first start working out, I am sometimes tired or angry about something and don't want to do it, however, once I get in the middle and towards the end, the things that were making me angry or tired have gone away because I used the energy that was creating them. Getting all the junk out of my head helps me get to the heart of what I want to write about, create or think thoroughly through. I love the feeling of clarity. I rely on it for reason and rationale. I like answers to my questions, confusions, and feelings. The morning pages gets me to a point of understanding.

No comments: