Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A day in the life of super mom

Yesterday I was having a very productive day. I made my list of things I wanted to get done, I had all my coupons, grocery lists, mail, and such ready to "go into town" to run errands. This is very important since I moved out of the city where I previously lived within five minutes of a mall, WalMart, Target, three grocery stores, 2 gas stations, and just about every fast food restaurant you can think of; to a place that is 15 minutes drive time before you even get to the interstate to reach the places you need to run errands to. This leading to another 25 minutes of drive time I didn't used to have. Still I was ready, my errands were running smooth, the post office, the antique store in which I work to drop off a schedule, my in-laws house to drop off mail, get a key, go to my in laws rental place to pick up some furniture I had in storage from my sister, then to WalMart with all my price matches and coupons in hand, and finally home.

I completed this all in two hours, had my Chevy Equinox full of four lawn chairs, two tables, a dutch oven, 10-12 medium sized rocks that my dad had brought back from Arkansas, the mail, and groceries from WalMart. I unloaded my groceries and got them all put away, when my phone suddenly rang. I noticed it was a local number meaning either one of my new friends in Fort Calhoun, or school. It was school. The school nurse to be precise. She was calling me to tell me that my daughter had decided to put a bead up her nose, and was rather upset because it was now stuck. What happened to my perfectly functional day that was flowing so smoothly even with all the things I had to do? A seven year old is what happened. My very pretty, sweet, lovely second child who tries to defy the logic of mother on a regular basis.

The logic of mother:

Wear shoes when playing on a wooden deck so you don't get a sliver. Okay mom. One hour later, a few tears, sanitized tweezers and a sliver taken out.

Wear a jacket or sweater to school and take it on the field trip because we live in Nebraska. Okay mom. One typical Nebraska cold front, shivering child with no sweater shirt saying "You said, 'If you want to Gianna'."

Don't put things in your mouth because you might not mean to swallow them, but you will. Like your mother did when she was ten talking on the phone and swallowed a penny she was playing with. For that matter don't put anything in any hole in your body because you might not know what will happen. Okay mommy. Typical day at school, car full so the back seat is not open where the child who is under the age of 12 has to ride, my health insurance is an HSA (Health Savings Account or also known as, Have Stash Available because you pay for everything up front.) so we avoid the doctor like the plague, and you have to get a bead out of your daughter's nose.

Or logical dad who drops her off that morning with these words of wisdom:

"Make good choices today." Okay daddy. Mom sitting in the school office with tweezers and pen flashlight, fishing for the bead that is stuck in her daughter's nose because she was "bored" and was being "silly" that day.

The best thing about this is, on the drive to the school, I wasn't sure if I should worry about her, strangle her or laugh about the situation. I couldn't help laughing. Only my daughter would do this and somehow tell her teacher and the whole class "Well my mother swallowed a penny and had to let it pass." Except she gave the full details of what 'letting it pass' meant. The funny thing about this is we just moved into this school district two months ago, and her mother has already gone to pick her up from school with a sick stomach. The nurse had given me bags in case Gianna vomited in the car, however, I proceeded to vomit in the bags in front of the school because I was also sick. Did I mention the bag leaked on the sidewalk right in front of the main doors. Great impression for a small town and their new "city slickers" who transferred in mid year.

Needless to say, I got the purple bead out with tweezers and thank goodness it was a bead with a hole in the middle. I needed that hole to grab on to. I sent her back to class to finish her math, and finally went and unloaded my car to continue on with my busy day.

Yeah, for moms everywhere!

No comments: